Our range of extra-curricular activities is designed to provide opportunities for our pupils to take part in activities normally not available in lesson time. Although sports activities often take place after school, most clubs take place during the lunch break, as many of our pupils go home by bus and are not able to stay for activities after school.
All extra-curricular activities are provided free of charge, with the exception of a small number of sports clubs which are run by outside agencies. Our clubs can be categorised as follows:
- We have 3 choirs – one for children in Years 1, 2 and 3 and two for children in Years 4, 5 and 6, where we have separate choirs for boys and girls. Our older choirs regularly join forces with Senior School pupils in concerts and other musical events.
- Orchestra: all children who learn an instrument in school are invited to play in the Prep School orchestra.
- Over 100 children learn an instrument in school and they are joined by several more who learn at home. The Prep Orchestra rehearses in the historic Baccarat Room which is in the Senior School building.
- Aural: aural music lessons are available for children who wish to take an examination in this area of Music.
- Theory: theory sessions are available for our older children who learn instruments.
Team activities include football, rugby, cricket, hockey, netball, rounders and basketball. Individual activities include athletics, cross-country running, judo and tennis. Extra-curricular sports clubs are held either at lunch time or after school. They follow the schools termly sports i.e. rugby and hockey in the autumn, football and netball in the spring and cricket and rounders in the summer terms. They are open to children of all abilities although there may be times when squad sessions are arranged for those playing in school teams. Other sports clubs are also available, with cross-country, orienteering, athletics, tennis, squash, basketball, judo, yoga and dance all being offered in recent terms.
In addition, we support our pupils in competitions in equestrian. Pupils are welcome to join our equestrian team from the age of 8 years and upwards. The team is run by a fully qualified instructor and parents. Hull Collegiate School is a registered member of the NSEA (National School Equestrian Association). Pupils compete at various equestrian disciplines – Showjumping, Dressage and Eventing at prestigious inter-school equestrian competitions throughout the country.
These take place most days after school for different year groups with the exception of Tuesdays. Some, which require external tuition or venues, require a small charge. In the event of a cancellation, parents are telephoned as soon as possible and pupils are looked after safely until they are collected.
- Chess: we currently have three chess clubs, catering for children of different ages. During the Lent term, the children take part in the British Land UK Chess Challenge.
- Challenge clubs: Discovery club, Debating club, Puzzle club, Circus club and Environmental club all fall into this category, encouraging the children to think in different ways.
- Language Clubs: French and Spanish clubs are run by Senior pupils for our younger children.
- Debating, Sewing, Story, Fantasy Football, Computer and Photography clubs are also on offer.
The Prep School pupils stage productions for parents twice a year. In the Michaelmas Term, each pupil takes part in an age-appropriate performance with music, singing and narration, following the Christmas Story theme. The summer production is a showcase of the KS2 pupils' talents and the type of productions vary from year to year. The Prep School orchestra performs at each production and it is rewarding for parents to see the result of the hard work and practice put in throughout the year.